The Local Catalyst Network is how the UK Youth Climate Coalition supports young people, between the age of 18 – 29, to get active on climate change in their communities.
The grassroots movement tackling climate change in communities across the UK is one of the best elements of the UK’s climate movement. In communities across the country, innovative and ambitious projects have inspired and empowered people in a way that distant, national-level projects are often unable to do. These projects are integral to solving climate change. The Local Catalyst Network is how we use the resources, networks and training of the UKYCC as an organisation, and our personal experiences as activists, to support this community action.
In Autumn 2012 the first small team of Local Catalysts was formed. They come from all over the UK and from all backgrounds – some with experience of community activism but many for whom this is their first foray into activism at all. After a day of the best training UKYCC has to offer, Catalysts have connected online to mutually support one another in a wide range of community initiatives, with ongoing support from the team.
What the Catalysts have done so far
Our catalysts engage with groups and individuals in their community, identifying the support they need and matching that to UKYCC’s skills, resources and networks. They are in the process of facilitating the delivery of that support alongside other UKYCC organisers – promoting cooperation between separate groups and even facilitating new community projects to catalyse action and collaboration. This is not directed centrally by the UKYCC. We support the Catalysts to take action on climate change in a way that they and their community feel is most appropriate for their situation. However we do also ensure that our Catalysts are connected in a way through which communities can access opportunities arising from the national projects and campaigns of the UKYCC and it’s partners.
What’s in it for the Catalysts?
This is an opportunity to be supported to play a central role in tackling climate change in your community. You will have the opportunity to inspire and empower young people in your community to make change, responding to a global issue at a local level.
They are supported as much as they feel they need. At the very least, we offer training in facilitation, public speaking, theories of change and campaign strategy. The UKYCC organisers they work alongside are experienced community activists, as some of them are themselves, so the opportunity for mutual support is invaluable.
We are currently looking for new members to join the Local Catalyst Network. See below for details on what to expect when you join the Local Catalyst Network and information on how to apply.
Apply to join the Local Catalyst Network
As a member of the Local Catalyst Network you will have the opportunity to:
- Meet other like-minded climate change campaigners, take part in weekly Local Catalyst Network Skype calls and attend team meet-up events.
- Collaborate with other young climate change campaigners on local action and campaigning in our communities.
- Participate in the development of training materials and other resources.
- Attend training events to help improve your skills in community organising and climate change topics (with the option to help plan and run future events).
- Help plan and deliver the expansion of the network, including the recruitment of new members.
Who are we looking for?
- A keen desire to be part of the solution to climate change.
- Commitment to community-level climate change action and a commitment to take an active role in the Local Catalyst Network for a minimum of three months
- Dependability – you will be part of a supportive team of volunteers so responsiveness to e-mails and other communications is essential
- Aged between 18 and 29. (If you are under 18 and would like to get involved please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can discuss options.)
Non-essential but useful
- Some experience of community action on climate change or other issues
- Knowledge of running workshops
- Experience of campaigning or of working in a voluntary role
- Some knowledge or experience of consensus ways of working
- Teamwork and/or leadership experience
How to apply
We are currently recruiting new members and would love for you to get involved! To apply to join the Local Catalyst Network please email us at email@example.com. Please include in your email:
- A short introduction to yourself, including you name, age, contact details (including Skype name if you have one) and where you live.
- A brief answer to the question: “Why do you want to be part of a network of young people taking community-level action to fight climate change?” (Up to 250 words)